As part of a student's training, it
is important for the student to learn and respect the
rules, traditions, and class etiquette followed by the
dance and theatre world and held by the Oxford Ballet
Promptness and Attendance
1. Please arrive promptly.
2. Be sure to leave time to be dressed for class.
3. If student is late to class, it is the teacher's
decision whether the student may take class or watch and
4. Regular attendance is very important. Any class
missed can be made up in another level below. Be sure to
fill out the make-up class form available at the desk.
1. Respect for the teacher, other
students, the studio, the theatre, and guest artists
will be expected of all students.
2. Students may not enter the studio area until invited
by the teacher. Students may wait quietly in the foyer
or dressing room.
3. Gum, food or drinks are never allowed in studio area.
4. No conversations between students during class, and
the student's hand should be raised when there is a
question for the teacher.
5. It is the tradition at the end of class to thank the
teacher (and accompanist if present) by applauding.
6. If student needs to leave class early, please let the
teacher know before class starts. At the appointed time,
the student should thank teacher and then leave the
7. Hanging on bares is not allowed.
8. Cell phones should be turned off during class.
9. Bathroom needs should be taken care of before class
10. No street shoes allowed on studio floor.
Guidelines for Parents
1. Please make sure child is dressed and hair is up
2. Any snacks should be eaten before arriving to the
3. If your child is 11 years old or older, please
schedule a placement class by contacting the school
director. Refer to the placement chart if your child is
younger than 11 years.
Your child must be at least
- three years old by September 1 to enroll for
the Pre-Ballet class.
- five years old by September 1 to enroll in
- seven years old by September 1 to enroll in
- nine years old by September 1 to enroll in
4. Due to the open design of the studio and foyer, we
ask if you are waiting for your child at the school to
wait quietly as to not distract the students.
5. Class observation days are listed in the Calendar.
6. Please drop off and pick up your child promptly
before and after class. Remind your child to always wait
inside studio to be picked up.
7. Teachers may have several consecutive classes to
teach each day. If you have a question for your child's
teacher but are unable to speak with her before class,
please feel free to write a note and place it in her box
by the desk.
8. Any class with less than four students are subject to
Note: Parents of younger children are encouraged
to speak with the child's teacher concerning access to
dressing room prior to class.
Dancewear Package Order Form
The mark of a truly fine dancer is reflected by the
dancer's strong technique, artistry, simplicity and
neatness in style. Teachers can more effectively correct
students, and students will concentrate better without
the distraction of loose hair and extraneous clothing.
Therefore, we ask that no sweatshirts, T-shirts, shorts,
plastic pants, or large jewelry be worn. Solid color
ballet skirts may be worn in Pre-ballet, pointe and
Ballet IV-V classes only.
Girls should wear a regulation leotard, pink
tights, and pink ballet shoes with elastics.
Boys should wear a white T-shirt , black dance
pants, white socks, and black or white ballet shoes with
Simple leotards with no ruffles, appliques, or puffy
Pre-ballet - pink (may wear skirt)
Ballet I - buttercup
Ballet I (2nd year) - coral
Ballet II - lilac
Ballet II (2nd year) - rose
Ballet III - purple
Ballet IV - navy (may wear skirt)
Ballet V - black (may wear skirt)
Beg. Adult Ballet - students preferably may wear
any colored leotard and tights but may also wear any
clothing easy to move in.
Pointe shoes - please consult teacher before
Pink tights and ballet shoes for everyone.
Theatrical pink tights are preferable for
No Jazz boots or jazz sneakers.
Girls wear black leotard or form fitting T-shirt,
black tights or black jazz pants, and black jazz
Guys wear white or black T-shirt, black dance
pants, and black jazz oxfords.
Students wear any color T-shirt or tank top (no midriff
please) black jazz pants or capris, and black flat heel
tap shoes. Students may need to purchase a new pair for
It is important for a student's safety and concentration
that hair is neatly and securely up and away from face.
No pony tails will be allowed except for Pre-Ballet